Saturday, July 31, 2010

JavaOne 2010 Posts of Special Note

I have recently submitted a few posts regarding JavaOne 2010, but there are several posts by other people related to JavaOne 2010 that I think are worth special mention here.

Not surprisingly, the Java One Conference Blog has several good posts regarding JavaOne 2010.  The first post (of an advertised three) on JavaOne Rock Stars (named at previous JavaOne conferences) returning to present at JavaOne 2010 has been published.  As featured in Kevin Farnham's 28 July 2010 Java.net editorial (Editor's Daily Blog), the Java One Conference Blog also recently announced an opportunity to win a pass to JavaOne (or Oracle OpenWorld or Oracle Develop) by submitting a video explaining why the entrant "deserve[s] to go to Oracle OpenWorld, JavaOne or Oracle Develop for FREE."  The main page for this video contest specifies that "entries [are] accepted from 7/27/10 to 08/09/10" and states that one pass will be awarded to Oracle Open World and two passes will be awarded for JavaOne and Oracle Develop.  Those who do not win, but submit a valid video for the contest, will also get a $400 discount (early bird discount) off the conference registration price (see FAQ for details).  Because Early Bird Pricing ended yesterday (after being extended past its original end date of 16 July 2010), this is a potentially very welcome discount.

There are numerous blog posts mentioning JavaOne not as the main topic of the post, but in an expression of hope for hearing a relevant announcement or others news on the main topic at this conference.  For example, in JavaFX Revisited: Moving Forward, James Sugrue writes about some possible scenarios for Oracle to pursue related to JavaFX and JavaOne and adds, "I believe that this year's JavaOne is make or break time for JavaFX."  In his simply titled post JavaOne 2010, David Bonilla also lists things he hopes to get from JavaOne 2010.  The responses to a recent Java.net poll regarding JavaOne confirms my theory that many of us are hoping for a better idea of the timeframe of Java 7/JDK 7 after JavaOne.

Markus Eisele's recent blog post Links and Tips for OpenWorld, JavaOne and OracleDevelop 2010, as its name implies, is a nice collection of links and tips related to the three Oracle-sponsored conferences being held together (including JavaOne).  Eisele covers everything from getting a visa to staying and playing in San Francisco.  I especially appreciated his link to A Local's Guide for People Visiting or Moving to San Francisco.  Eisele provides a list of his personal list of his "must see" attractions in San Francisco including the signature cable cars, Fisherman's Wharf, and Alcatraz Island.  Oh yeah, JavaOne is not a mere boondoggle:  he provides links to conference-related sites as well.

As JavaOne approaches and arrives, I expect to see and look foreward to reading many more useful blog posts covering this event.

3 comments:

David Bonilla said...

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for the trackback. I am very surprised that an American has read a blog in Spanish :)

If you are going to the javaOne/Open World this year it would be a pleasure to drink one beer with you.

Regards,
David

@DustinMarx said...

David,

I wish I could say I used my prowess with the Spanish language to read your post. Sadly, I have allowed even the little bit of Spanish I learned in junior high school and high school to fade over the years. I "cheated" and use Google Translate to read your post: it does a good enough job to get the gist of your post, but obviously isn't so good with nuances and subtleties. With Spanish rapidly becoming a much more prevalent language in the United States, I am considering learning it better. I feel that spoken/written languages are like programming languages: it is beneficial to know more than one.

I actually have several family members and friends who are fluent (at least verbally) in Spanish and it's definitely to their benefit. My brother is a fluent Japanese speaker, but that has not been as valuable here on a daily basis as is Spanish.

David Bonilla said...

I totally agree with you Dustin.

I'm trying to improve my English almost every day but It's quite complicated here in Spain because our daily exposure to Enlish is very limited.

My level is enough to understand almost all in a conference like JavaOne and I'm fluent but... with a lot of mistakes :)

See you in the JavaOne then !!!